Friday, August 03, 2007

Why I was in the hospital

Everybody has been asking, so I finally wrote it down. I already emailed this to a couple of you... :)

Monday night (7/30) I had pains in my stomach, so I took a couple of Tylenol before I drove back from NYC to DC. I drove for two hours and stopped at a rest area, and my stomach felt worse (I thought it was from suspect spaghetti sauce, and if I went to the bathroom, I'd feel much better, but no-go.)

I got back in the car and drove two more hours, but as I'd slow down for tolls & stoplights, any engagement of my stomach muscles was painful. By the time I got to my parents' house at 1:30am, I couldn't stand up at all. I felt like I'd either pass out or puke or both.

After 20 minutes on my hands and knees in the street outside my parents' house, I finally called and woke them up; it took us another 20 minutes to get me inside the house from the car. I had to stop every two feet and rest on all fours. I was crawling part of the way. After I went to the bathroom I felt a little better, but still like I was going to pass out/puke. We called an ambulance, and the EMTs poked around my belly, then tried to get me out to the stretcher; I still couldn't stand beyond 90 degrees.

I got down three of the front steps before I had to stop again, then finally puked, thank god, and they carried me the rest of the way to the ambulance. I got to the hospital about 3am Tuesday morning (7/31). Apparently I'd had an ovarian cyst that ruptured and didn't stop bleeding, because I was on anti-coagulants. I had about a liter and a half of blood in my abdominal cavity. They couldn't even see my internal organs on an ultrasound because of the fluid. At one point my blood pressure dropped to 60/30. Yipes!

After about 40 bedridden hours in the hospital, I finally got to come home last night, no surgery necessary. Yay!!! I still feel kinda weak and my belly's a little distended, but much MUCH better than I was. I've had to miss the first three days of rehearsal for my new play at Woolly, but they've been very understanding, and I'm looking forward to being there tomorrow, taking it easy at first.

How's that for a story? :)

12 Comments:

At 10:10 AM , Blogger Mark said...

Very glad you are OK! Nicolle, Nellie, Torey and I are coming down to see your show in late August.

 
At 11:27 PM , Blogger theladyhamlet said...

I am so excited you will be coming to see me, Mark! Thanks for your good wishes. :)

 
At 2:29 PM , Blogger SAS said...

Oy vey Marni! Thinking good thoughts for you and looking forward to seeing the play. And to seeing you. Luck and love. XO.

 
At 6:26 AM , Blogger J. J. said...

Oh my dear God!

I am even more honored to be working with you, as if that's possible. I'm thankful that you are doing better. You ARE doing better, right?

See you in a few!

 
At 4:34 PM , Blogger theladyhamlet said...

Thank you, JJ! You're so sweet!

 
At 1:43 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my gosh...you're scaring me. I'm so glad to hear you're OK.
My love to everybody :)

Love,
Marianne

 
At 7:36 AM , Blogger Joyce said...

Marni,

I am happy that you are better.
Sorry you were in so much pain.
Good luck with your new play.
Stay Well!

Love You!
Auntie Joyce

 
At 8:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goddamn, Girlfriend! Are you *trying* to give this old fart a heart attack? You are not allowed to scar me like that again - even as a joke!

BTW, I'm in Natchitoches, LA teaching at Northwestern State University this semester, so I won't be able to see your shows for a while. :-(

More later. Much Love,

Michael

 
At 9:06 AM , Blogger njpenning said...

Yo mama and I are so grateful you're well and able to do what you love. We're here for you whenever and always. pop

nickpenning.com

 
At 7:42 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, that sounds awful. Glad to hear your better. Let us know when you're back in New York!! Good luck with the play! xo Staci, Tim and Ali

 
At 12:14 PM , Blogger Catherine said...

Marni!!!I am so glad you are ok!!!Scary!!! Francis and I will be down to see your show...it will be good to see you! Going to the last show of the season tomorrow at the Pole! Miss you...xoxox
Catherine

 
At 12:54 PM , Blogger Biz Minded Actor said...

Yes I am truly glad you are ok. But the whole not being able to move thing sounds very familiar to what happens to your character in Unmentionables...hmmm freaky how art does that whole imitation thing huh...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home